Discussion about pulling or pushing Jr.

General Discussion about a little of everything

Moderators: WILD BILL, livewire, 2kidsracin, Pool Man, chili man

Discussion about pulling or pushing Jr.

Postby L5 RACING » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:59 pm

I can't count on my hands on how many times I have seen people get in trouble about pulling or pushing there Jr at a Big event. Yes they make tow dollies but do they sell massages or extra back Drs. at the track. These cars are heavy to pick up over and over again. I'm not making excuses just having a open conversation. I was looking at a couple of race cars and they have a small hole in roof for the tow strap. I believe a lot of racing cars are that way. I just feel that a Jr can run over my lil scooter if the tire rolls over the tow strap and its attached. That's just my opinion. I seen a lot of the big kids use there Jr as a skate board. But how are you gonna be able to stop in a emergency. I'd rather push my kid. I seen officials crack down on it this past weekend.
Let's go fast and be safe at it. Thanks to Ken Dabney, TintMaster, Mike George, Wayne Thornton and Thornton Motorsports for all there help guiding me into this new sport.
L5 RACING

Re: Discussion about pulling or pushing Jr.

Postby WILD BILL » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:05 pm

Towing a car via a tow strap is legal if a driver is in the car. Pushing it with your foot from a scooter is not.
WILD RACING

Taylor 00 Bos #3411 "WILD THING" Retired
Kaitlin 10 Half Scale #3251 "WILD CHILD" 2012 SMP Novice Champion
WILD BILL

Postby rosco15 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:50 am

I started out pushing at my home track with a little dirt bike. worked fine. THen at the the bracket finals we almost got run over a few times by people backing out of their pits. They just dont see the car. Even if I see trouble in front of us I cant stop the car when I'm pushing it with my foot. I set the xr70 up to tow with a dolly after that. Much safer.
rosco15

Postby Ten5TireDad » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:04 am

WILD BILL wrote:Towing a car via a tow strap is legal if a driver is in the car. Pushing it with your foot from a scooter is not.

The strap can not be attached to the cage, it has to be attached to the front of the car. Every car has an exposed front frame section, and most spindle caps have a loop in them to attach a strap to.

[quote="L5 RACING" These cars are heavy to pick up over and over again. I'm not making excuses just having a open conversation. [/quote]

There are other ways of slowing them down besides weight. I've got an 8.90 can that weighs over 400lbs. (still wasn't slow enough) and I had to look at other options for slowing it because I got tired of making it heavier and harder to load.
Ten5TireDad

Postby WOLFRACING » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:13 am

I shake my head sometimes when I see the things people do.
I have known people for years that tow their big cars with straps. And eventually just about everyone has something happen. Broken nose piece. Broken strap due to jerking. Scratched paint. Whatever. Same goes for the jr's.
Pushing with foot either with pit bike or golf cart works. But it sure has significant risk to the pusher. Pretty easy to make a mistake in one of the vehicles and break an ankle or worse.
The tow dolly is what we use, and yes I kinda hat it. Our car isn't all that heavy, and frankly, we do use weight to slow it down and have found that this method works best for our program. So that is what we are doing. My son and I each take a side when putting it on the dolly, and team lift. There have been some extreme weekends when we put over 35 runs on the car, and I was sore after that for sure.
I see a lot of big cars now pushing, and it really seems to be about the best for them. But for the jr's, the point about not being able to see them is very valid. And when they are in front of the golf cart, nobody expect it to be there.
So we use the tow dolly.
I saw a guy at Byron that had a double dolly with a 12v linear actuator that would life the cars with some sort of sling. Slickest thing I have ever seen for this. Certainly would cost some money to build. But really I think people would buy these. We buy a lot stupider stuff!
WOLFRACING

Postby BHM Racing » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:00 pm

We use a tow dolly. Only problem we have had using it so far was when someone forgot to charge the golf cart. smiley-lol
BHM Racing

Postby WOLFRACING » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:27 pm

BHM Racing wrote:We use a tow dolly. Only problem we have had using it so far was when someone forgot to charge the golf cart. smiley-lol

You know.....forgetting to fill with gas caught us this weekend.
WOLFRACING

Postby L5 RACING » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:13 pm

What's the difference in a full size dragster driving thru the pits and a Jr. I'm guessing the dragster is running. Most kids are very cautious when being pushed thru the pits. I know my kids don't want there car scratched.
Let's go fast and be safe at it. Thanks to Ken Dabney, TintMaster, Mike George, Wayne Thornton and Thornton Motorsports for all there help guiding me into this new sport.
L5 RACING

Postby WILD BILL » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:33 pm

One is legal and one is not.

If the driver of the full size rail has to slam on his brakss to avoid something, No one risk getting their ankle broken/sprained or otherwise dumping the scooter or mini bike.

Lastly, the full size makes a lot more noise making it easier for others to be aware of their presence.
WILD RACING

Taylor 00 Bos #3411 "WILD THING" Retired
Kaitlin 10 Half Scale #3251 "WILD CHILD" 2012 SMP Novice Champion
WILD BILL

Postby dbbubba01 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:22 pm

Read the NHRA rules.
I am pretty sure that you ARE NOT allowed to push with a scooter using your foot.
In fact, I am certain you aren't.

Some tracks let this rule slide, but at NHRA sanctioned events like the WCFs and ECFs you will be disqualified.
I know people who use a scooter all year, but they have to take their golf cart to those races.

Besides... it IS dangerous.

I won't mention what track I see this at, but at a big local track they run the juniors through VERY quickly.
Some of the teams push with a scooter going as fast as they can.
This requires the teams to hurry and some people are EXTREMELY careless.
We use an electric golf cart and they pass us going 20 mph!
These are the same teams that tend to have kids that blast in their dragster by after getting their time slip, too.
I have almost pulled in front of one of these kids at every event a that track.

I have seen kids almost wreck some nice cars doing all of this.
One kid turns off so fast that he has had the car up on two wheels!
In fact, if he went over he would have hit the concrete barriers at the turn off at the roll cage (this is exactly what killed the little girl in Australia.)
My daughter was racing him and told me about it.
The track official at the turn off also came over and told me.
He wanted me to tell the kid's dad, but I told him who the dad was and that the track needed to tell him.
(The guy would never listen to me. He is the track "expert" and self appointed "genius.")
Eventually, something will happen.
Danny Brown
Hannah Mitchell (NHRA and IHRA #4816)
dbbubba01

Postby WOLFRACING » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:36 pm

Those folks need to be more efficient in their pit and slow it down on the way there. Everyone has a choice. Nobody is forcing anyone to be careless or unsafe....ever. We can turn the car around between rounds in about 3 minutes including treating tires, wrapping, fuelling and recording the run data. Everyone has a job, and none of the jobs take long. I very much object to the kids driving their cars back from a run. That is an accident waiting to happen IMO.
WOLFRACING

Postby dbbubba01 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:50 am

They are efficient at turn-around.
They are consistently the track champions.
They know what they are doing.
However, blasting through the return road with the car under power or while being pushed is dangerous.

Mostly, the track is aware of this, but they also want to run the juniors through as quickly as possible.
Rushing the juniors through is a whole different story.

I will admit that at the track that we test and tune at I let my daughter drive the car back to the trailer.
At this track we park way down at the end of the pits, so the drive back after she gets her time slip is not very far.
If the track is crowded she passes maybe two or three trailers at most.
Quite often we are the last trailer and we park there for this reason.
Danny Brown
Hannah Mitchell (NHRA and IHRA #4816)
dbbubba01

Return to Discussion Board