Cage size

General Discussion about a little of everything

Moderators: WILD BILL, livewire, 2kidsracin, Pool Man, chili man

Cage size

Postby Paulieboy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:44 am

Sorry if this has been asked, but i did try and was unsuccessful searching it, but we are looking to buy our first car and i was wondering how to decide on what size cage i will need. Also any tips on buying our first car would be greatly appreciated. I have been searching forums and you guys have some great info here.
Paulieboy

Re: Cage size

Postby dbbubba01 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:17 am

Is the car for a girl or a boy?
I ask because, like I have learned, girls grow bigger in the hips and will outgrown a narrow car quicker than you might think.
So, if you are buying for a girl I would suggest nothing less than a 20" if you plan on keeping the car as she gets older.

One other suggestion that I would make is to buy a car that is from a manufacturer that is still building cars.
You WILL need parts and you will probably need to do some upgrades over time.
Our first car was a last year Jegster and there were a few parts that I needed to source and fabricate myself.
We now have an '09 Halfscale and I can buy almost any part or upgrade to any new part that I desire.

Don't go too cheap.
You will be selling the car some day and off brand and cars that are no longer in production get harder and harder to sell as time goes on.
I thought that I would keep our first car longer than we did (one year.)
I was VERY lucky to sell it for what I paid for it.
However, it was a nice car and it was in nice shape.
Danny Brown
Hannah Mitchell (NHRA and IHRA #4816)
dbbubba01

Postby rosco15 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:32 pm

Our cars are 20 and 21" at the shoulders. Both my boys were able to drive them at 10 YOA after I built up the seat a bit. At 6'1" 215 I can fit in both cars so I know the boys won't ever grow out of them. Look for a car with a legit tag on the frame. My KCS and Halfscale are both tagged. Saves you from trying to figure out who built it later. KCS and Halfscale both build badass cars. Sourcing parts for either is not a problem.
rosco15

Postby ASM » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:02 pm

http://www.mikeboschassiscraft.com/Showroom.htm

build a car to your child's predicted growth. use a pour in seat and cut it down as he/she grows (https://www.rollbarpadding.com/products/cat-9)
buy the best car you can afford and only buy one car and be done.
ASM

Return to Discussion Board