Cam dial in

General Technical Assistance

Moderators: WILD BILL, livewire, 2kidsracin, Pool Man, chili man

Cam dial in

Postby Gav wellborne » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:49 pm

Hi all, can somebody please explain "dialing in" of the cam.... Or point me to an informative video
I cant get my head around it....... Im not actually sure what it does as the cam gear is really only adjustable by moving a tooth
Foward or backwards...... Motor is a raptor... Stock block.... .400 stroker crank.. Arc rod and .80 over piston.. Dyno 125 cam
Ive done all of the clearancing of the cam and block..... Everything rotates nicely.... So now its the follower and valve work
Any help would be great
Thanks
Gav
Gav wellborne

Re: Cam dial in

Postby WILD BILL » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:16 pm

Degreeing a cam insures that the valves open and close when they are supposed to as designed by the cam grind.

It also allows you to either advance or retard the valve opening and closing events in relation to the pistons travel as doing so will change how the engine makes power. (I typically always advance my cams 2 degrees)

Most cams made for Jrs have a number of dots on the cam gear and to change the timing you would unbolt the cam, spin the gear on the untlll the next dot is in position, install the cam with that new dot aligned with the dot on the crank gear and recheck the timing.

Leaving the gear bolted to the cam and simply moving it one tooth will not work.

I would be happy to talk you through it all over the phone but I fear that may be tough to arrange. smiley-lol
WILD RACING

Taylor 00 Bos #3411 "WILD THING" Retired
Kaitlin 99 Bos #3251 "WILD CHILD" 2012 SMP Novice Champion
WILD BILL

Re: Cam dial in

Postby Pool Man » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:56 am

This is a pretty easy example on how to degree a cam using the centerline http://www.compgoparts.com/technicalres ... reeing.asp
I deserve respect for the things that i DO NOT do.
Pool Man

Return to Tech Talk