Adjustable spindles

General Technical Assistance

Moderators: WILD BILL, livewire, 2kidsracin, Pool Man, chili man

Adjustable spindles

Postby austin251 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:51 pm

Are there any adjustable spindles that work with a 2002 halfscale?
austin251

Re: Adjustable spindles

Postby gd31 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:25 am

Halfscale makes separate Steel offset ones for older cars. Newer style Aluminum ones won't work I've been told.
The car we just purchased has offsets and I'm needing straight if you are interested in trading.
Greg Dillman
Junior Nationals @ Muncie Dragway, Indiana
September 1-2, 2018
gd31

Postby quicksilver02 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:22 am

You can make the newer style Halfscale adjustable aluminum spindles work, but it takes a little bit of work.

You need to press bushings into the kingpin bore on the frame to reduce the diameter, as the new kingpins are a smaller diameter. The new spindles have oilite bushings in them that rotate on the kingpin (the kingpin doesn't rotate in the frame). The bushings need to be 11/16" OD, 1/2" ID. The ones I used are 3/4" long, and you need two per side (one presses into the top of the bore on the frame, one into the bottom). I got my bushings from McMaster-Carr (part #6391K198). You can press the bushings in pretty easily with a big C clamp. The kingpins can be driven in with a drift punch without too much effort. I didn't need to ream the bushings at all, and it had a nice press fit.

The other thing you need to do is shorten the tie-rods. I'm running the newer style Halfscale aluminum tie-rods. I had to mill them down to be about 3/8" shorter per side to get the right amount of toe adjustment range. You could just cut them down with a bandsaw or hacksaw if you make sure to cut/file it square where the jam nut sits against it. I also added a 1/2" spacer on each side where the tie-rod end bolts to the spindle. This makes the tie-rod sit level so there are no bump-steer or binding issues.
Last edited by quicksilver02 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
quicksilver02

Postby quicksilver02 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:37 am

Here are some pictures which should help show what I described.

quicksilver02

Return to Tech Talk