intake length

General Technical Assistance

Moderators: WILD BILL, livewire, 2kidsracin, Pool Man, chili man

intake length

Postby aray347 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:59 pm

I am building my own intake and was wondering what affect the length of the intake has to do with power on the stronger engines. Do the outlaw guys prefer a shorter or longer intake or is there much of a difference?
aray347

Re: intake length

Postby Pool Man » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:27 pm

There is difference the intakes have on engines. I have seen some engines run terrible with one intake. Take it off, place another on the engine can change what it does. Now the real question is what is the real effect they have. Without having the benefit of a flow bench the only other real test is on the engine itself. I do not know of many folks that want to spend the money it would take to experiment with all the intakes that are out there. The only thing I can tell you is intakes can make a difference.
I deserve respect for the things that i DO NOT do.
Pool Man

Postby WILD BILL » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:31 pm

I think Nic Woods has a dyno. Might be worth a call to him and see if he's done any testing.
WILD RACING

Taylor 00 Bos #3411 "WILD THING" Retired
Kaitlin 99 Bos #3251 "WILD CHILD" 2012 SMP Novice Champion
WILD BILL

Postby jtracr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:04 pm

From most outlaw motors I have seen they have a very long intake compared to your typical 7.90 bracket motor. Here is my theory, it is like comparing a low rise intake manifold on a small block Chevy to a tunnel ram manifold on the same engine. The tunnel ram will have less bottom end "grunt" but would probably rev to a higher rpm than the low rise. The outlaw motors spin a LOT more rpm than most bracket motors. They also launch at a higher rpm, thus making good of the longer intake. With a correct clutch, carb and gear you can probably make a longer intake work on a bracket motor I guess? I have tried but I can't seem to get a clean launch with it every time, thus why I run your typical shorter intake.
Team "sibling Rivalry"
Samie Retired
Justin JC 7924
Stephanie Retired
NOW RACERS!
Caden 7924
Carlie 7927
Lucas oil team
jtracr

Postby jmoore » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:04 pm

I have long intakes on both my bracket motors. We have had great success running in bracket mode. Just have to be jetted right.
jmoore

Return to Tech Talk