Graph reading jumpy

Questions related to Tach

Moderators: WILD BILL, livewire, 2kidsracin, Pool Man, chili man

Graph reading jumpy

Postby LeeJM22 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:05 pm

https://ibb.co/jiiE7H
Hi all, any ideas as to why my mychron graph is so jumpy, iam thinking maybe interference to the mychron?, also any other help in the graph reading much appreciated, it's only the second pass on this new motor, iam pretty new to the methanol motors and only just installed the mychron, we ran JR last year with lo206, 1st year in 8.90, new motor is a Jr race car stage 9, polar clutch 6.0 gear ratio, still running the engine in ,only 2nd pass on motor.. We're in the UK, weather not that great on that run (very cold) and a new track... Hopefully testing again next weekend so any help or advice will be much appreciated
LeeJM22

Re: Graph reading jumpy

Postby WILD BILL » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:29 pm

I'm betting the weather had a lot to do with that.

At 44 deg F I would very hard pressed to even attempt a pass. You also had no heat in the motor showing only 129 F at the 330 mark.

Is the track bumpy? Looks kinda like it from the jackshaft line but that also could be from the motor if it was stumbling or popping down track.
WILD RACING

Taylor 00 Bos #3411 "WILD THING" Retired
Kaitlin 99 Bos #3251 "WILD CHILD" 2012 SMP Novice Champion
WILD BILL

Postby LeeJM22 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:39 am

WILD BILL wrote:I'm betting the weather had a lot to do with that.

At 44 deg F I would very hard pressed to even attempt a pass. You also had no heat in the motor showing only 129 F at the 330 mark.

Is the track bumpy? Looks kinda like it from the jackshaft line but that also could be from the motor if it was stumbling or popping down track.

Hi Bill, Thanks for the reply..
Yes weather not great that day, it’s an all new concrete track (Santa Pod) which they are having trouble prepping at the moment as the weather has been so bad over here so yes a little bumpy, a lot of the other Jrs managed to Get down close to there index, but I would imagine they have been set up to run In cooler conditions, so I’am also thinking maybe I need to comedown in jet size? as the motor was built to be run in the states (a little warmer climate than here) hence the no heat in motor, it’s a 33mm makuni carb any ideas what jet sizes I should be looking at ordering up
LeeJM22

Postby WILD BILL » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:37 am

They could also be set up like I am. Having more motor than I need which allows me to pull a ton of weight if weather slows us down. It's very rare when I can't hit the index regardless of conditions.

Noe knowing what you have, all I can say is order a fair number smaller then what you have. However, you will most likely need to retune once the weather warms up.
WILD RACING

Taylor 00 Bos #3411 "WILD THING" Retired
Kaitlin 99 Bos #3251 "WILD CHILD" 2012 SMP Novice Champion
WILD BILL

Postby LeeJM22 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:50 am

WILD BILL wrote:They could also be set up like I am. Having more motor than I need which allows me to pull a ton of weight if weather slows us down. It's very rare when I can't hit the index regardless of conditions.

Noe knowing what you have, all I can say is order a fair number smaller then what you have. However, you will most likely need to retune once the weather warms up.

Ok thanks Bills, testing this weekend will see how it goes
LeeJM22

Return to Tach Teck Talk