Tach Questions

Questions related to Tach

Moderators: WILD BILL, livewire, 2kidsracin, Pool Man, chili man

Tach Questions

Postby Destiny's Dad » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:40 pm

What is the difference between "open style" and standard egt sensor.And could having wire from coil to terminal disconnect post coiled (like if you had wrapped around pencil) cause tach reading to be real jumpy. Mine seems to move alot more than others i have watched. so much you cant always tell what rpm you are at for launch. I have sent in and had Aim put in new board last year better but still not right.
Destiny's Dad

Re: Tach Questions

Postby buckeyetodd » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:30 pm

The open style is also referred to as the fast acting version as it responds to temp changes quicker than the standard sealed tip version. I believe most would say the sealed tip is more durable. Regarding the coiled lead, I can't say. I have always run a straight wire to the terminal post and have never had a problem.
buckeyetodd

Postby Destiny's Dad » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:30 pm

Thanks Todd. Should have just called u would have been easier. Maybe Robbie will have a response also. See u in a couple weeks?
Destiny's Dad

Postby tanners » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:27 pm

I always coil the wire from the coil to terminal block so that I have a little extra wire if needed and don't have a jumpy tach issue. I always make sure to take the tach feed wire straight from this terminal block so that the signal is as clean as possible.
tanners

Postby robbie@aim » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:36 pm

Destiny's Dad wrote:What is the difference between "open style" and standard egt sensor.And could having wire from coil to terminal disconnect post coiled (like if you had wrapped around pencil) cause tach reading to be real jumpy. Mine seems to move alot more than others i have watched. so much you cant always tell what rpm you are at for launch. I have sent in and had Aim put in new board last year better but still not right.

The open tip responds faster than the closed tip version. I make a Heavy Duty open tip that has a longer lifespan than the standard open tip option.

The coiling of the RPM sensor is not advised. It can cause a slight noise problem to be exaggerated. I would first start with removing the coils or replacing the RPM wire. You also want to make sure your pulling signal from the same connection your coil is connected to.

Best,
Robbie@AiM
robbie@aim

Postby Destiny's Dad » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:03 pm

Thanks for your reply. Will try all suggestions.
Destiny's Dad

Return to Tach Teck Talk