Bike VS Sled !!!!!

Technical assistance for junior comp

Moderators: WILD BILL, 2kidsracin, chili man, livewire

Bike VS Sled !!!!!

Postby jtracr » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:31 pm

As the Jr Comp class grows out here in the west we have seemed to get kinda a rivalry going. Two years ago every Jr Comp in division 7 was bike powered. We now have 3 cars running with snowmobile (sled) motors. So the majority is still bike power, BUT what is better???? I have been kinda looking at that. Here is what I have come up with.

Denver, the WCF races. Mile high shootout: winner, Sled. runner-up, bike.
Main event: winner, sled. runner-up, bike.

Then back home: Irwindale, sled. Barona, double win, sled. Las Vegas double: 1st race a sled. 2nd race bike.

We have 3 sled cars running in fields of 10 to 19 cars. That is 16% to 30% of the field. Out of the races that these cars have made we have 86% of the wins????? So I have to ask, what is better, sled power or bike power????? Just some "interesting" numbers for those looking at getting into the class. Like everyone knows, I have NO secretes. That might be a bad thing sometimes though!

The funny part of all of this is that I have one of each!!!!! lol. I like my daughters old bike car BUT I love my sons sled one!!!!!! OOPS, I am not suppose to play favorites!
Team "sibling Rivalry"
Samie Retired
Justin JC 7924
Stephanie Retired
NOW RACERS!
Caden 7924
Carlie 7927
Lucas oil team
jtracr

Postby Pool Man » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:39 am

When these things first came out in the 90's I think all of them were sled engines. I like the fact that there is a mix now.
I deserve respect for the things that i DO NOT do.
Pool Man

Postby jtracr » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:32 pm

That is what makes this class great, the versatility. The rule of "allowed engines" is pretty open. We had quite a few V-twin Harley cars for a while. I think they were the best looking and sounding cars in the class, BUT that does not win races. I bought our old bike car 5 years ago just to get our feet wet in the class. It was cheap and a way to see if we liked it. Before taking a HUGE leap and building a car I did my homework. IMO I felt the sled motor was going to be the best bracket combo, thus why we went that route.

Well 2 races next weekend at Irwindale. For the points chase we have sled cars in 1st and 3rd for points with a Busa car in the middle. That Busa car has been champ a few times including 2012. So it WILL be an exciting weekend for sure. This should show who is on top for 2013, SLED or BIKE??????
Team "sibling Rivalry"
Samie Retired
Justin JC 7924
Stephanie Retired
NOW RACERS!
Caden 7924
Carlie 7927
Lucas oil team
jtracr

Postby Pool Man » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Are there any two stroke engines running in the class?
Pool Man

Postby jtracr » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:04 am

Well, IMO that is one mistake NHRA has made with the class, 2 strokes are NOT allowed. If you look at the boating, motocross, etc..... 2 strokes are getting fazed out everywhere. I am a 2 stroke fan though. There are a few cars around with them, just not running this class. I guess that NHRA is doing the right thing, but if it would add cars, I would allow them. Then again, I do not work for NHRA.
Team "sibling Rivalry"
Samie Retired
Justin JC 7924
Stephanie Retired
NOW RACERS!
Caden 7924
Carlie 7927
Lucas oil team
jtracr

Postby Pool Man » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:56 am

I agree. Anything that would help open the field should be allowed. A two stoke engine would be pretty cool on one of those cars.
Pool Man

Postby 7496 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:03 pm

The whole junior comp thing is the same as it always has been. Great crew chiefs with good drivers still win most of the time. I'm impressed with how good some of the sled teams are.

Re:

Postby NOS2stage » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:22 am

jtracr wrote:Well, IMO that is one mistake NHRA has made with the class, 2 strokes are NOT allowed. If you look at the boating, motocross, etc..... 2 strokes are getting fazed out everywhere. I am a 2 stroke fan though. There are a few cars around with them, just not running this class. I guess that NHRA is doing the right thing, but if it would add cars, I would allow them. Then again, I do not work for NHRA.

div 5 tech told me we could run 2 stroke. i bought a car that was built running a 2 stroke.
NOS2stage

Re: Bike VS Sled !!!!!

Postby jtracr » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:57 pm

What class are you trying to run? If you are building it as a bracket car to run with adults than they might allow two stroke. I know when we built our sled car I asked George Phillips and was told no, not in Jr comp class. Looking back now I am glad we went the RX1 route, it works really well.
Team "sibling Rivalry"
Samie Retired
Justin JC 7924
Stephanie Retired
NOW RACERS!
Caden 7924
Carlie 7927
Lucas oil team
jtracr

Postby NOS2stage » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:57 pm

jr. comp. no were in the rules does it says they are banned, and why, it would be easier and cheaper to build a 3 cyl. 2 stroke then a rx1. east of the big river seems to be no racing for jr comp.
NOS2stage

Postby jtracr » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:01 am

Read page #46 in the 2015 NHRA Jr dragster rule book. Engine: Limited to 1 FOUR stroke 2 cyl or 4 cyl NON-automotive type engine.

Trust me I am not trying to burst your bubble on this subject. I love this class, thus why I have two cars running in it. I have read the rules and even questioned on this part of it to NHRA. I still own a Suzuki quad-racer (2 stroke) and love the 2 stroke stuff. With boating, biking, snowmobiles, etc.... ALL fazing out two stroke stuff I can see why NHRA has the rule in place. That does not mean I agree with it, but it will stick. I wanted to build a Mazda rotary powered car, but was told no on that too due to it is an automotive engine.

Don't give up on the car. IMO I would look into the RX1 motor. I have 2 of them and I bought both of them as used motors off ebay. I paid $1500 for one and $1650 for the other as complete engines. I chose to not run the stock carbs, so that cost me a little more. There are a few guys running the stock carbs, they will work. With about another $1000 into ignition system and we were off and running. I just had to add a primary clutch to one engine. I bought a new Comet (yep Comet) for it for about $300, cheaper that a Jr clutch.

If you price out this VS a Busa it is a cheaper route to go by quite a bit. Busa on ebay will be $2500-$3000 range and then $1500 for clutch and cover, another $800-$1000 for shifter, another $1000+ on electronics, etc.... So the RX1 might not be as cheap as two stroke, but they work REALLY well. We are looking at a turbo for ours for the 2017 season, NOW that is getting pricey!!!!!
Team "sibling Rivalry"
Samie Retired
Justin JC 7924
Stephanie Retired
NOW RACERS!
Caden 7924
Carlie 7927
Lucas oil team
jtracr

Postby NOS2stage » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:25 pm

All vehicles restricted to one four-stroke, OEM motorcycle, snowmobile,
personal watercraft, or industrial engine (nonautomotive), with a
maximum of four cylinders and a minimum of two cylinders. '

this is how i am reading it, i'll leave the 2 stroke in it and play around. i have done plenty of rx1 motor, turbo a few. it just not the same. we will do some test and tune then when he turns 16 i will let him bracket race. **** might even go sand racing.
NOS2stage

Re: Bike VS Sled !!!!! UPDATED for 2016

Postby jtracr » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Well with the 2016 season coming to a end I have been looking back at what seemed to work and what didn't. Looking at it as "bike vs sled" the sled cars did really well for 2016. My son was D7 series champ and won WCF race. Payton won the ET finals! So the three biggest events for Jr comps were ALL won by sled cars.

On another note I have 2 bike powered cars for sale! Lol
Team "sibling Rivalry"
Samie Retired
Justin JC 7924
Stephanie Retired
NOW RACERS!
Caden 7924
Carlie 7927
Lucas oil team
jtracr

Return to Tech Talk