Sponsor Advice

General Technical Assistance

Moderators: WILD BILL, livewire, 2kidsracin, Pool Man, chili man

Sponsor Advice

Postby Kern Family Racing » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:09 pm

Need some advice on what to accept or ask for when talking to a sponsor. What would be appropriate to ask for the side of the car or the top, etc. I don’t even know where to start to ask for or to take. What would be a good range to look for on the side of the car?
Scott and Jack
Kern Family Racing

Re: Sponsor Advice

Postby jtracr » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:53 pm

Very tough to aquire sponsors with Jr's, I've learned that in 15 years of trying. Read the book motorsports marketing, I'm reading it now and it is a good read. Good luck
Team "sibling Rivalry"
Samie Retired
Justin JC 7924
Stephanie Retired
NOW RACERS!
Caden 7924
Carlie 7927
Lucas oil team
jtracr

Postby L5 RACING » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:38 pm

Where do we find the book at?
Let's go fast and be safe at it. Thanks to Ken Dabney, TintMaster, Mike George, Wayne Thornton and Thornton Motorsports for all there help guiding me into this new sport.
L5 RACING

Postby Kern Family Racing » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:39 am

I guess I should take what I can get?
Scott and Jack
Kern Family Racing

Postby simoncope » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:45 am

Kern Family Racing wrote:I guess I should take what I can get?

It just depends. The worst thing you can do is take their money and not do any marketing. The right way to do it is determine the value to the sponsor. How many eyeballs (empty stands aren't worth much), how may rounds on average do you go, how many times a season are you racing and do you have a calendar figured out ahead, are there any tie ins, can you do activations etc etc. Also what can the sponsor afford. If a sponsorship is high overhead for you (displaying the car, walking around handing out product, maintaining a website, PR etc) you need to factor that in too. At the end of the day it's a partnership, it has to work for both parties.
simoncope

Postby mrhockey » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:04 pm

We have had a decent amount of success but much of it has transferred from my door car, but I haven't raced in over two seasons. The book you might be speaking of is by Alex Striler who works for Lucas Oil. The book is Motorsports Marketing and Sponsorships: How to Raise Money to Race and Give Sponsors What They Really Want. I was at a seminar moderated by him at the PRI show in December and it was very informative. The book can be found through Amazon. The book I first read years ago and is not in print anymore is Sponsorship and the World of Motor Racing by Guy Edwards. He is one of the first racers who successfully brought big corporate sponsors onto the race track. His book like the one I have in hardback starts at $399.00 on Amazon used. Lol. I think I paid about $100 for mine 8-10 years ago.

One of the things from Mr. Striler and the rest of the panel focused on is your social media accounts and many of the new sponsorship applications now ask for numbers pertaining to your "likes", "friends" or "followers" on the various social media outlets. Your job is to promote those companies to people that they don't normally have access to aka YOUR FRIENDS. It's not wins and losses vs being socially active and always acting professional. If you have "politics, scantily clad women on your site we shy away" said one panel member.

Now as far as what to ask for, don't undervalue the worth and value of your program when asking for something. Always pay attention to the companies you target and research them prior to contacting them to see what they might need and how you can fit them into your program. I know there are companies I would like to work with but I know we aren't a good fit and what they are asking for is unrealistic for us so I won't waste my time. I also will not sell out or try to make another company happy for $50-100 worth of product or cash. Give the companies several options to choose from and try to find out who to speak to prior to calling or emailing. Do not send an email to "Dear sir" or "To whom it may concern."

Anyway hope some of this helps you put a price on what you are seeking to agree on. smiley-sunglasses
http://www.marschanmotorsports.com
Dealer for:
DJ Safety
NecksGen
ISP
mrhockey

Postby Kern Family Racing » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:22 am

After speaking with a few companies, they seem more open to buying product like fuel, oil, or consumables rather than a cash sponsorship. This makes it easier for them to write off if they have a receipt for their expenses. I figured as much when I started talking to them and had an idea of what to ask for. Barrel of fuel, cases of oil, tires, and even as far as a spare engine. I appreciate the advice and help with this!!
Scott and Jack
Kern Family Racing

Return to Tech Talk