upgrage halfscale swingarm to dual caliper

General Discussion about a little of everything

Moderators: WILD BILL, livewire, 2kidsracin, Pool Man, chili man

upgrage halfscale swingarm to dual caliper

Postby rosco15 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:58 pm

Is it possible to upgrade our 2009 Halfscale swingarm car to a dual caliper setup. Has anyone done it. Right now we have one caliper mounted to the left. Our other car is KCS dual caliper and my older boy says it just stops better.
rosco15

Re: upgrage halfscale swingarm to dual caliper

Postby buckeyetodd » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:01 am

I don't think there would be enough room to do this, but even if there was I would discourage it. I've seen more kids than I'd like to admit lock up the brakes at the stripe with a single caliper car, so I know that set up is more than capable of stopping the vehicle. Add to that the fact that Halfscale chassis have probably compiled more championships on the local, regional and national level than any other brand and I think it's safe to say it's a pretty well engineered setup. If the car is not stopping as well as your son would like, you may want to scuff up the rotor and pads just to make sure they aren't glazed from someone riding the brakes too hard in the past.
buckeyetodd

Postby Pool Man » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:24 pm

Maybe the brakes are just soft and need some attention to bring them back to standard
I deserve respect for the things that i DO NOT do.
Pool Man

Postby WILD BILL » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:46 pm

If it's using the standard MCP caliper you need to adjust the pad clearance every so often.

I did a video detailing how I do it.
WILD RACING

Taylor 00 Bos #3411 "WILD THING" Retired
Kaitlin 99 Bos #3251 "WILD CHILD" 2012 SMP Novice Champion
WILD BILL

Postby rosco15 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:15 pm

The car has the strange brake caliper. The kind halfscale put on the car. My boy had a didn't get the car slowed down enough got it up on 2 wheels making the turnoff incident last year. Didn't roll it, but he's spooked. He said he was on the brakes hard and it just wouldn't stop.

Last year I replaced the master cylinder and put new fluid in the system. My older boy drove the car and said it stops, but not as well as his dual caliper setup. I'm just looking to give him more confidence in making the 1/4 mike turnoff. I'll look for your video Bill. I also ordered some new pads today. I sent halfscale an email about adding a second caliper. Looking at the car I don't think it's possible unless I welded the brake rotor hub to the axle. I'm kinda suprised they don't do it as an upgrade.
rosco15

Postby WILD BILL » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:26 am

Did you use DOT 5 fluid?

Most of these brake systems are speced for that and using either DOT 3 or 4 will mess things up.
WILD RACING

WILD BILL

Postby rosco15 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:56 am

I used DOT 5 synthetic. I'm going to replace it again just to make sure its good.
rosco15

Postby rosco15 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:48 pm

I contacted strange and they said to use dot4 or dot 5.1 but never use dot5. I swapped out the dot5 for some dot5.1.
rosco15

Postby WILD BILL » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:48 pm

I don't know anything about 5.1 but I know you cant mix 3 or 4 with 5.

What master cylinder does the car have? I know the MCP master comes with a sticker on it that says "use DOT 5 only"
WILD RACING

WILD BILL

Postby martin6249 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:23 am

It is possible to install dual brakes but you will need to figure out how to weld in the necessary tabs to mount the calipers. It should be fairly easy for you to see how to do it if you have access to a KCS chassis. Will dual 6" discs stop better than a single 7" disc? Definitely. I have never understood why they didn't at least use a single 10" disc in place of the 7".

There is plenty of room for dual outboard calipers because a good portion will be inside the wheels. Your boy will have better brake control with the dual setup but it will take a bit more pedal travel to engage the brakes. As far as using DOT 3,4 or 5.1 vs DOT 5 - pretty simple really. If the master cylinder has a little round label that indicates DOT 5, you can use anything. That means it has the EP seals and is compatible with pretty much anything. DO NOT mix DOT 3 or 4 with DOT 5. If you decide to switch you must flush the system first. Which is better? DOT 5 does not harm paint and will not absorb water meaning you don't have to replace your fluid every year. Its disadvantage is that the silicone fuid has a bit of a spongy pedal.

You could try switching to DOT 4 or 5.1 first and see if that helps his pedal control any. If not, then consider the upgrade.
martin6249

Return to Discussion Board