Sleeved 33 hard to start, wont rev

General Technical Assistance

Moderators: WILD BILL, livewire, 2kidsracin, Pool Man, chili man

Sleeved 33 hard to start, wont rev

Postby JustDoug » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:36 pm

G'day all
Fitted a sleeved 33 with base jet settings as listed on another thread to an 11.90 motor
After having issues with high revving, found an air leak and fixed
Now the engine is extremely hard to start. Turning it over it wont start for ages. Let it sit and it will just start then stall.
Once I eventually get it going it doesn't like to rev up, although I can get it to idle.
Changed Fuel pump with no difference, new filter, and it is set to base timing with an ARC adjustable fly wheel. Plenty of spark
Was going to take this engine to the Nationals but ended up spinning the starter nut off the crank.

Any thoughts (all are appreciated)
I'm thinking either:
Float level
Needle set too high/low

Cheers
JD
JustDoug

Re: Sleeved 33 hard to start, wont rev

Postby Kern Family Racing » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:41 am

You said you found another thread for jetting, but can you tell us what you are at anyway? Is the plug wet if you try to start it for a while? It sounds like it may be flooding more than anything like the air bleeds are choked off. What is the cylinder head temp when it does idle? There should be a small hole in the sleeve that should be pointed in the 6 o’clock position for your primary idle mixture screw. If not, you are choking it with fuel. If you carefully pull the bowl off and it is full, your floats are fine. If nothing spills out when you take the last screw out, you may need to raise the float level or replace the needle and seat. Give that a shot.
Scott and Jack
Kern Family Racing

Postby JustDoug » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:39 am

Cheers mate,

Jetting as below:
Pilot- .055
Pilot Air- .8
Main - 195
Main Air- .7

I'm at work at the moment so will need to investigate more when I get home. Wet plug sounds very possible, and will check the bowl as well.
Idle temp seems normal, what stumped me was that it wouldn't rev which could be flooding.

Thanks for the ideas
Just Doug
JustDoug

Postby Kern Family Racing » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:06 am

Our raptor setup we ran a .55 pilot with a 0.7 air bleed and a 175 main with a 0.9 bleed. Your main air bleed is in the 6 o'clock position and the pilot is to the left of it. I let my son change the bleeds once and he got them backwards which made things interesting. Your cylinder head temps at idle should be at 150 degrees. Also, the car will run completely different with the belt off and you should do your "tuning" with it on. Get your kiddo in the car to hold the brake and play with it. I had been fighting a lot of issues and finally got them figured out. Double check your idle mixture screw under the carb and it should be 1 - 1 1/2 turns our from closed. That should get you in the ball park.
Scott and Jack
Kern Family Racing

Return to Tech Talk